Wednesday 8 May 2013

Cranberry Almond Muffins (a.k.a 'Health Nut' Muffins)

It seems since school has finished I have more free time than I know what to do with!!  It's been driving me a little insane.  As a result I've put all my spare energy towards a bit of a baking bender...After all you can hardly expect me to contain myself with all the baking supplies my Mum has in the pantry!


Last night I tried a muffin recipe from one of the thousand Prevention magazines lying around the house.  These recipes tend to be uber-healthy and very precise with measurements.  Based on my family's reaction, I may have made them slightly too healthy, but there are ways you can make them a bit more of a treat.

The recipe follows:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
4 tbsp butter, melted (I used margarine)
1 tsp almond extract
1 2/3 cup whole cranberries (fresh or frozen)
topping (optional):
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp butter, cut into 12 cubes
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup sliced almonds
cooking spray (or 12 baking cups)

Preheat oven 375˚F.
Mix first 5 ingredients.
Whisk next 4 ingredients.  Fold into flour mixture.
Stir in cranberries.
Spray muffin pans with cooking spray (or line with baking cups).  Fill each cup with batter.
If desired, top with butter, 2 tsp sugar, cinnamon, and almonds.
Bake about 20 mins, or until tester comes out clean.  Makes approx. 12 muffins.

I opted to omit the topping, making these the perfect accompaniment to a healthy breakfast.

Adapted from Prevention Magazine, December 2012

~

No comments:

Post a Comment