Sunday 5 May 2013

Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies


I finally made something nice enough to take a picture of!  The oven at my parent's house is electric and is taking me some getting used to.  Believe it or not, I've been missing our capricious gas stove a little bit!!



This is a recipe from a Cooking Light magazine Mum found lying around at work...The coconut was very tricky to cook - I very nearly burnt it!  I also found them a bit sweet, so next time I might use slightly less brown sugar, but they turned out pretty tasty in the end.  We had them with our afternoon tea and it was very tempting to forego dinner and eat all the cookies instead!  I'm not sure I have much appetite left for dinner as it is.  I made a batch of pancakes for my sister this morning and ate most of them myself...*shhhh*


Here is the recipe if you'd like to try them yourself:
1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
2 ounces dark chocolate

Preheat oven 350˚F.  Arrange coconut in thin layer on baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted (about 6 mins).  Set aside.
Chop chocolate into small chunks (be careful with this!!).  Set aside.
In large bowl cream butter and sugar together until well combined.  Add egg and vanilla.
In separate bowl mix flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
Gradually add flour mixture to wet ingredients.  Stir in toasted coconut and chocolate chunks.  (I had to add a tbsp of milk at this stage because I found the batter too dry).
Drop cookies onto ungreased baking sheet and bake for about 10 mins.  Let cool for 1 minute on tray and then transfer to cooling rack.  Makes approx. 25 cookies.

Adapted from Cooking Light: Quick and Easy Low-Calorie Recipes, June 2011

~


No comments:

Post a Comment