Sunday 15 June 2014

Red. Velvet. Oreo. Brownies. What?

I mean I know I said no more squares, and red velvet should be reserved for Valentines Day.... but OMG.

When my coworker showed me this recipe I basically had a foodgasm.


























As I write this they are chillin' in the fridge (haha).  I could not be more excited to pull them out and try one.  I am hanging on the edge of my seat! (Ok I realize this could just be due to all the icing I polished off the spatula earlier, but STILL)


























I varied the method for the brownie bit slightly based on good experience with a different brownie recipe.  Instead of just melting the butter and combining it with the other ingredients, I melted it in a saucepan on low heat, dissolved the sugar, and then successively added the rest of the ingredients with the heat still on.  We'll see how it turns out.


























A few hours later...

My brain: THE GANACHE. Is. So. Perfect. I am thoroughly impressed with myself.

But - weirdly - the brownie base is crunchy? What is up with that? I mean, it tastes good, but that is sooooooooo not what I was expecting from something with 'red velvet' in the title.  'Crunchy' and 'velvet' just don't mix in my mind.

I have a suspicion that these so-called brownies are actually just nanaimo bars in disguise.  Three-tiered cream, crunch, and chocolate?  Yep.  Definitely a distant relative.


























I was a little worried that these would be too sweet, but actually they're pretty tolerable.  Much more than tolerable, in fact.  Rich and creamy and ohhh-myyy-tastebuds.  The crunchy brownie layer was a happy accident.


























Oh yeah, and to add to my general satisfaction, I DIDN'T USE REAL OREOS!  The metro brand was half the price.  Scoreeeeeee.

Work friends, if you are reading this: you better bring your sweet tooth to work tomorrow because these are a reaaaaal treat.


























That is allll from me this evening folks, I think I'd better get my running shoes out...before I turn into a ganache myself!

Until next week,

Nicola 

No comments:

Post a Comment