Sunday 22 June 2014

Chocolate Cream Puffs

I didn't know how I was going to top last week's brownies.

"F***. This is good." Was the reaction I got a few times on Monday.

HOW DO YOU BEAT THAT

I have two choices: 1) make this week's baking tastier than last week's
2) ....drown in shame (and possibly chocolate)

So naturally I have decided to take it to the next level, and make something I have been meaning to try since I started this blog: profiteroles (aka. cream puffs, or puff pastry filled with cream and topped with chocolate sauce...I can see the drool on your chin).

This could either be a complete disaster or make it even harder for me to come up with a dessert next week.


























I once went a month without chocolate.  I don't know how that was humanly possible.  It should not be in anyone's nature to go without chocolate for that long.


























The recipe I chose uses whole wheat flour.  I have to say I was a bit nervous about that.  I mean, whole wheat + chocolate? Sounds kind of gross right?  I'm already outdoing myself with the puff pastry, so trying to make them healthy too? I'd say that increased my risk of failure tenfold.


























But apparently the stars are in my quarter and I was destined for success again.  They are delectable.  How did I manage that??!?


























I didn't have a pipette so I made one from a ziplock bag.  That mousse was the messiest thing I have dealt with so far.  It was one of those situations where you have to accept that you are going to get sticky.  Or creamy.  Or dirty.  Or some other adjective that doesn't make it sound like my kitchen was getting hot in more ways than one.  When did baking become so inappropriate?!


























I've often read that you shouldn't melt chocolate chips because they won't produce the same smoothness that baker's chocolate does.  If I was being really picky, I'd agree with this statement.  The chocolate sauce in this recipe definitely did not turn out as silky as the ganache from last week (there may have even been a few lumps *gasp*).  But I hardly think anyone will notice.  I know I didn't.


























If you are feeling courageous and want to try these out for yourself, here's the recipe.  Don't be intimidated by their finesse.  Profiteroles are simpler to make than you'd imagine.

I hardly know how I will challenge myself next week.

Fingers crossed that my luck hasn't run out.

Until then,

Nicola 

No comments:

Post a Comment