Monday 25 August 2014

Chocolate Meringue Cake • Confessions of a Chocoholic

Here I am again, chopping chocolate.


























I must be an expert by now, right?  I'm certainly running out of ideas on how to take a picture of it.

Surprisingly the learning curve with chocolate is never ending.  But I'm not complaining.

Apparently there's a scientific explanation behind the mysteries of chocolate.  I watched a video about it the other day.  Personally I still just think it has a mind of its own.  I like to pretend I believe in magic.


























This week's cake was a success.  Finally!  I told you it would happen.  Sometimes wishful thinking works!!

Obviously while searching for baking inspiration I started on Pinterest.  And inevitably ended up in my chocolate section.  It is a delicious trap I can't get out of.  I actually landed on this recipe first, found three more, and then ended up back on this one.


























I am so happy I tried it.  So is my mother apparently.  I'm home for the week and this afternoon she started chanting "we have a desserrrrt, I don't have to think of one".  I hate to think what goes on around here when I'm gone.  Après-dinner activities involving dancing and a broomstick, no doubt.

There's something oddly sobering about returning home after being away for a long time.  I find memories and feelings from my childhood come flooding back.  I realized that when you are away from your family for so long, you lose sight of yourself a little bit.  Perhaps if everyone lived with their families forever, many of our insecurities would go away, and the world might be a happier place.  But then living with your parents forever would bring about a whole other set of issues, wouldn't it?

Safe to say I think there's a reason it's natural to leave the nest.


























Philosophical rambles aside, this week's baking involved a two layer cake.  Essentially a round brownie base, topped with chocolate meringue, and garnished with a heaping pile of fresh berries.  Umm, pass the fork, right?

I guess you could say I was persuaded by the photos on this blog.  They are absolutely stunning, with beautiful artistic proportions.  I aspire to capture the simplistic allure of food like that one day.  Until then I make do, and try not to pretend I am in any way as tasteful as Artful Desperado.  Whoever that is...

Ahem.  I don't think my head is screwed on right today.  First of all, I am late posting this (which I do apologize for!), and second, I keep drifting off on tangents.  Maybe it's the apathy associated with not having to cook or clean for yourself.  Can a person ever be too relaxed? Hmm.


























I followed the recipe almost to a tee, but I will write it out for you anyways.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chocolate Meringue Cake with Fresh Berries*

Chocolate Cake:
8 oz dark chocolate, loosely chopped
3/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
2 large eggs
4 egg yolks (saving the whites for the meringue)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup all purpose flour, sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder, sifted
1/3 cup ground almonds

Chocolate Meringue:
4 egg whites
3/4 cup super fine sugar
1 tsp white vinegar
2 tsps cornstarch, sifted
1 tbsp cocoa
2 oz dark chocolate, melted

2 cups fresh fruit of your choice, for garnishing
icing sugar

Preheat the oven to 325F. Lightly grease an 8-inch springform pan and set aside.
Place butter and chocolate in a small heatproof bowl over pot of simmering water over low heat and warm until melted, stirring occasionally.
In a large bowl whisk eggs, egg yolks, brown sugar, and vanilla for about 5 minutes until the mixture is pale and frothy.  (Be careful not to let egg yolk mix with your whites!!! I had a near catastrophe with this!)  Gently fold in the melted chocolate, flour, baking powder, and almond meal.  Pour batter in the cake tin and bake for about 30 min until just set.  You do not want to overcook this as it will need to go back in the oven once the layered with the meringue (it is actually better if it is slightly under cooked in the centre).

Once the cake is removed from the oven you can start the meringue.  DO NOT start this earlier as it will deflate.
Increase temperature in the oven to 350F.
Place egg whites in a clean bowl and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar.  Beat in the vinegar until meringue is nice and glossy.  Fold in cornstarch and cocoa.  Drizzle the melted chocolate into the meringue mixture, and spread over cake.  Do not overmix as you want the natural swirls!
Return the cake to the oven for 20 minutes or until the meringue hardens.  Let cool.

Serve warm or chilled topped with berries and a sprinkle of icing sugar!

*Very slightly adapted from Artful Desperado.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


























Now, I have to say I felt that this cake - while still incredibly delicious - lacked a certain kick, which most definitely could be remedied by the addition of alcohol, such as rum or brandy.

So I am going to have to try making it again as an experiment.  Poor me.

Adieu, Adieu (auf wiedersehen goodbye!)

Nicola 

No comments:

Post a Comment