Sunday 18 May 2014

Lemon Cupcakes with Coconut Glaze Frosting • Happy Victoria Day

'Afternoon!

This week, as requested, I have made cupcakes.  Or "muffins with icing".


























I chose these lemon coconut cupcakes as they go well with the sunny weather and a cup of tea.





I slaved over them for houurrs.  They took a lot longer than I anticipated.  Mostly this was because I do not own an electric hand mixer.  Please can somebody let me know when they go on sale at Canadian Tire??

You cannot truly appreciate our ancestors' cooking hardships unless you have tried to whip cream by hand.  Cooks must have had MASSIVE arm muscles back then.  And probably carpal tunnel as well.


I am going to be sore tomorrow.

In the end I actually gave up on the recipe's instructions and invented my own because, well, let's face it, I do NOT have strong arm muscles.

This is roughly what I ended up with for the icing:
1 cup icing sugar
1/3 cup coconut cream

No whipping required.

The final product reminds me vaguely of a Mr. Kipling lemon sponge cake.  I have no complaints.



























And speaking of Mr. Kipling...I brought some bakewell tarts back with me from my trip to England, and just about peed my pants when I broke into them on Thursday. Such a treat.


























Ta-ta-for-now!

Nicola 

~

No comments:

Post a Comment